Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Me Time - January 2011

Reading

Dead In The Family by Charlaine Harris
book 10 of The Southern Vampire Mysteries
Just like all the others I loved this one. Sookie is a great female character, for the most part she's strong but she's not afraid to admit to her weaknesses and I love her matter-of-factness.
I'm also very pleased to find that book 11, "Dead Reckoning" is out in May 2011

Torment by Lauren Kate
the second in the Fallen series
the story of fallen angels is what I'm attracted to here. I'm enjoying it but am not as hooked as I am to the Sookie Stackhouse books. I like the main female character Luce in this book too, she's doomed (for lack of a better word) to her fate but she's still bucking the system. The final book in the series is Passion with no release date announced as yet*.
Films

Inception - clever but not really that interesting

Wild Target - mildly amusing

The Social Network - interesting but what is fact or fiction? is he really that much of an @rsehat?

Black Swan - bizarre, reality blurred with fantasy leaving me feeling very sad for the girl in the end. the dancing was beautiful.

TV

Sons of Anarchy (season 1 incomplete) - very different to my usual viewing but I can't stop

Carnivale' (season 1 & 2) - captivating right to the end but I, like many before me, felt a bit cheated with said end. The series apparently was meant to run over 4 seasons but was reduced to 2 and left too many loose threads to satisfy me completely. I found some relief in the show's Wiki page which discussed the creators intention for the future of some of the characters but it didn't cover everything

*Correction I stuffed up! Passion is not the final book in the Lauren Kate series... I just read on her facebook page she's begun plotting Rapture, the fourth and final book in the Fallen series. I guess I just imagined it was a trilogy DOY!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

SoA is just amazing. Wait until you get to season 3!