Tuesday, May 1, 2012

April 2012

Hi!

Phew! Hectic April has ended! My mum flew home this morning, school has been back since last Thursday and my house looks like a bomb hit it. Time to re-group and set things straight again. It is nice to return to our routine despite the early morning starts.

So school hols kept me busy... for Easter we did the family thing with egg hunts and egg & spoon races and lots of yummy food. A family we're very good friends with (and now consider "family") joined in the fun. It was just lovely and I didn't overdose on chocolate (what's wrong with me???) We still have lots of chocolate left, I have been rationing it out to the kids and they're enjoying getting a treat most days so it's all good.

Miss 7 had dance competitions in the middle of the holidays; she does troupes for modern and tap. It's our (I say "our" instead of "her" because I put in just as much effort behind the scenes as she does on stage) first time in competition and her troupe came first in both their categories. They danced beautifully and I must admit to having tears in my eyes when I watched.

I also took Miss 7 to see Mary Poppins on stage. At the time of buying the tickets I thought Miss 3 would be too young but the closer the time came, the more interest she showed in seeing it. I felt terrible so I think next time a big show comes to town (I think Annie will be next!) I will get cheaper tickets and take them both.
Mary Poppins was wonderful, everything about it was "practically perfect in every way" and the real treat for me was to see the wonder in Miss 7's eyes. She truly believed the magic on stage... when Bert walks up the wall and on the ceiling and when Mary fixes the broken cupboards and table in the kitchen. At the end of the show when Mary flew out over the audience, she realised she was suspended on wires but I think still thought it was pretty cool (I don't think she drew the same conclusion for Bert's ceiling antics though)

I also celebrated my 14th Wedding anniversary this month, Hubby and I had both planned to cook the other a nice breakfast (me thinking he was off to work that day) so we had lots of goodies to eat and he surprised me and took the day off work so we could hang out together. My mum-inlaw took the kids for the night and though we didn't go anywhere especially exciting, it was just nice to spend the time in each other's company. We were together 8 years before we started our family and as much as we love our beautiful girls, we both miss not having as much time together as we used to.

Now onto my "me time"

Films

Fright Night (2011)
what a crap movie! but this is why I watched...
for the smile alone and then...
Oh My! he took his shirt off ;)

TV

Game of Thrones Season 2
Oh I am so happy this is back on. I haven't read the second book in the series yet but the show is captivating so far. The more I watch, the more I like Tyrion Lannister. Peter Dingle who plays Tyrion is amazing!

Being Human Series 4 (UK)
I had my reservations about this series as they killed off my favourite, Mitchell at the end of the last series and I'd read that they'd killed off George and Nina early in this series. Still I have given it a chance and the story has taken an interesting turn and the vampire and werewolf "replacements" Hal & Tom are very likable.

The Vampire Diaries Season 3
Not sure why I continue to watch this... maybe it's the eye candy factor. It's an easy watch and as close as I'll come to watching the soaps I guess. I've only watched the first 6 episodes but you know? I quite like seeing Stefan as a bad guy. Elena gives me the sh!ts though, she always has.


Reading

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

OMG! The Hunger Games series is amazing. I loved each book and the story was so compelling that half way through the last book, Mockingjay, I had to just sit and read until I was finished and let the household run itself (well not quite, Hubby was home hehe)
Like most series that I've read and loved, I was left feeling a bit lost and sad when I finally finished. But at the same time I was very happy and satisfied with the ending and kept thinking what awesome movies are to come.


Fallen In Love by Lauren Kate
this is described as Book 3.5 of the Fallen series and is kind of a side story (or stories) to the main story in the series. I read it because I have enjoyed the previous 3 books and hoped that this might give insight into other characters  which it did to a certain extent but I was a little disappointed. It came across as a bit cheesy and the character's story I was most interested in (Cam) was only very briefly touched upon. I can only hope that he is featured more in the final book of the series.

Her Dark Fairy by Ella Vines
This is a very short story. It started off quite interesting and had the promise of quite a complex storyline but then suddenly the girl met her fairy stalker, slept with him and the end! If it was meant to be an erotic short story, it failed. Using the word "stalk" in anatomical descriptions (as in "his stalk") makes me want to laugh out loud rather than titillate me.


Ooh I've run out of time! Thanks for stopping by. Talk again soon x

No comments: